Liberty Shores FAQ

Q: What is the age range for people living in your facilities?

A: The average age is 84, with the range being between 70 to over 110!

Q: What is the difference between independent, assisted living and memory care?

A: Independent living is for active seniors who are able to manage their own lives but want the ease of having their meals, housekeeping and home maintenance taken care of. Assisted Living is for seniors who require assistance with daily living needs such as dressing, toileting and mobility. Memory care services also provide these daily living needs along with dementia specific programming and resident safety in a secure environment. All care services are provided by LPN's and Certified Nursing Assistants or an RN if needed. Liberty Shores offers Independent, Assisted Living and Memory Care support.

Q: What kinds of meals do your facilities serve?

A: Northwest Care Senior Living Communities meals are overseen by award-winning chefs who work with a dietician to create well-rounded and nutritious meals.

Q: How do people pay for retirement and assisted living care?

A: Many of our residents pay privately, using their pension, Social Security income and savings. Some residents sell their homes and use this resulting nest egg to rely on. Medicare does not pay for assisted living.

Q: Are there outdoor areas for recreation?

A: Each of our facilities is different, but all provide beautiful outdoor grounds for residents. Seasonal colorful landscaping surrounds patios, walkways and seating areas.

Q: What does ADL mean?

A: ADL stands for Activities of Daily Living. It’s a common phrase used by health care providers in an evaluation process for a potential resident. Those activities include bathing, grooming and personal hygiene.

Q: Are assisted living facilities licensed or inspected?

A: Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) license and regulate all assisted living facilities. Our facilities are reviewed annually by inspectors from DSHS who arrive, unannounced, to look over our operations.

Q: Can residents call for help from their apartments in case of an emergency?

A: Residents’ rooms have intercoms and call systems. There are pull cords in the bathrooms. These systems are monitored 24-hours a day.

Q: What is the difference between a assisted living community and an skilled nursing facility?

A: Assisted Living is licensed under a boarding home and can provide a multitude of care services. Some specific nursing services can only be provided in a skilled nursing facility (SNF's), also called nursing homes, and operate under a different state license. 

Q: What do you mean by rehabilitation?

A: Rehabilitation is a process residents go through as they return to their former level of activities following a debilitating event.

Q: What does Aging in Place mean?

A: It’s a natural progression of life changes that occur as one gets older. Northwest Care Communities are designed to provide a continuum of care so that a resident doesn’t have to move each time he or she is faced with a change because of age. This allows our residents to enjoy the comfort of their own homes as long as possible by providing increased levels of care to accommodate the aging process.